Between Friends

Between Friends

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

WHY I VOLUNTEER

The T-shirts…   It’s fun…   Because I can…   Because we should... 
We should support good things.  And Friends of Independence National Historic Park is a good thing.  I have been a volunteer with the Friends (regularly for three years, occasionally for several years before that) and have enjoyed playing a part in many Friends’ events – setting up lectures, greeting visitors at the July 3 concerts, planting flowers,fetching, carrying, counting money, etc.  But the one that I am most proud of is helping collect the funds to wrap Independence Hall in its Decorative Scrim.

When I first saw, from Market Street, the scrim in place, I was thrilled because instead of seeing scaffolding, poles, wires and planking -  it looked like Independence Hall.

I walk by the Hall at least twice a week and many, many times have been requested by park visitors to “take the family vacation picture”.   And not once has anyone whined about Independence Hall being under construction - mostly they are just happy to be here and pleased to have their picture taken in front of the place the United States was started.  And that’s because of the scrim.
See… I said it was a good thing.
~ Tag Brewer
   Volunteer, Member and Supporter

No comments:

Post a Comment