Between Friends

Between Friends

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Personal Communication in the Age of Technology

For several weeks at the Friends office, we have been experiencing issues with some of the computers. Nothing that was a state of emergency, but just the little things that can be frustrating and annoying in this age of technology.  For example, when our modem died we had to wait a few days for the replacement to arrive.  Well, we had more than enough work to keep us busy, so that getting through a day or two without a modem seemed do-able, until we realized that half of our work dealt with researching, registering and reviewing multiple groups, people and places on the internet. 

The modem arrived, we were back online, but then our computers didn’t like the new modem and refused to network with each other.  Again, we thought, not a big deal; we will get it fixed eventually.  That was until three of us were trying to work on different aspects of the same project and we were all trying to use the same computer at the same time.  Needless to say, we made sure the network was fixed immediately.  Most recently, our computers just started freezing up on us… well, there is no cure for this.  The computers are old.  So we whisper terms of endearment to them, pet them occasionally, and once in a while offer up a thanks to the powers that be.

In coping with all of the trials of the office computers, I had a constant worry about how I would be able to do my job if the computers went down.  How would I share information with the volunteers who work in the office if we cannot network?  How would I print and mail over 500 invitations for the Annual Meeting if I didn’t have a computer to help me?  Trust me, the daunting task of hand writing 500 addresses crossed my mind but was quickly dismissed. 

Through my worries and contingency plans, one thought kept coming to my mind… “How did the first members do it all without technology?”  It seemed they were constantly planning, setting up or breaking down an event every month; giving Behind the Scenes Tours to members, or sending volunteers to organizations to present slide shows of the park.  How did they do this without technology, and why were they successful?

They were successful because they believed in the cause.  They didn’t need computers, they were happier to pick up the phone and make the personal plea.  Networking was done at events with members and potential supporters.  Volunteers came in to learn and then go forth as ambassadors for the Friends; and, yes, there was someone who hand calligraphied hundreds upon thousands of invitations for all the events.   The original Friends didn’t have technology and even if they had it, I do not think they would have used it.  They understood the power of personal communication.

After weeks of computer issues, I am beginning to believe in this personal communication.  I have found myself more willing to make the call than send an email, spend time on the other side of the desk with the volunteers going through the different projects rather than putting it on the shared drive, and even writing a personal note or two to people.

I still appreciate technology, even if I have to call my computer “you sweet, old dear,” when I want it to work, and I am grateful for the advantages it gives small non-profits like the Friends of Independence. But there are lessons to be learned from the past.  Nothing can replace the personal connection we share here at the Friends and it is important to foster that relationship.  So while I am sitting here, typing out an article for the Friends blog that will be posted on the internet, I am hoping that those who read this will respond with a phone call rather than a comment - because in this age of high-speed communication, once in a while it is nice to hear a human voice.  (215-861-4971)

~ Maiti Gallen
   Program Director

One of my favorite pictures.  I admire this Friends Member in more ways than I can say

No comments:

Post a Comment