Between Friends

Between Friends

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Being Thankful

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving, a day where Americans gather with their family and friends to eat turkey, watch football and hopefully give thanks for all that they have in their lives.  On the Eve of this great holiday, I would like to give my own thanks.

I am thankful to the National Park Service.  Every day in rain, sheet, snow and sun, rangers are out in our wilderness parks, history parks and monuments; interpreting, protecting and maintaining these places for the American people.  I am thankful to the Federal Government who in 1872 had the foresight to protect a little place called Yellowstone from being destroyed through development.  Today the National Park Service protects over 450 natural, historical, recreational, and cultural areas throughout the United States, its territories, and island possessions.

I am thankful to the founding members of organizations like the Friends of Independence.  They had the passion, dedication and foresight to understand the importance of preserving and protecting our American Treasures.  I am thankful that they preferred to work on a shoe string budget so that they could pool more of their resources into our great parks and to make them the place to visit.

I am thankful to members, donors and corporate sponsors who agree with us that Independence National Historical Park is worth protecting and maintaining.  I am thankful to the nearly four million visitors who come to our park each year… they remind me why I love working here.

Mainly, I am thankful that I work for the Friends of Independence and that while I will play only a small part in the impressive and extensive history of this park, I will still play a part.  As a born and bred Philadelphian who went on field trips here as a child, nothing makes me prouder than knowing that I am helping to preserve this park for future generations.

So I hope you will join me today and tomorrow and offer thanks to a government department that preserves our heritage, to the rangers who love their job and sharing their knowledge, to the groups like the Friends who tirelessly work to preserve these places and mainly, give thanks to Independence National Historical Park, there is no other place like it and after all, it is the place where America was born.

Happy Thanksgiving!!!

~Maiti Gallen
  Program Director

No comments:

Post a Comment