Between Friends

Between Friends

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

View from the Back Office, Part 2: Saying Good Bye

          

     Summer is quickly slipping away as I sit at my desk and watch the people walk by the Merchant Exchange Building. The young, the old, locals, and tourists all mosey past my window as they head towards City Tavern or The First Bank of the United States or other destinations here at the park.


People from all over the world take a stroll past my window; some stop to look at the beautiful façade of the Merchant Exchange Building and take a picture or two,  some peer into the shaded window trying to glimpse the interior, but are thwarted in their efforts by the screen shades. They are not missing much, just the National Parks Service’s administrative offices, which are not as exciting as they may sound.


               My work behind the shades goes largely unseen by the average visitor to the park. They cannot see me working on fundraising spread sheets or typing this blog. They cannot see the hours spent stuffing envelopes for potential donors or doing research for upcoming Friends programming. What they see is a beautiful old building in the most historic square mile in the country. They see Independence Hall wrapped in its beautiful scrim, and the Liberty Bell perched on its stand in the Bell Center and the portraits of the great statesmen inspire them in The Second Bank of the United States Portrait Gallery. Every day visitors experience a park that keeps our history alive, and makes it tangible. There is something incredibly powerful about being able to see, smell, and sometimes even touch history and I take pride in knowing that I help to keep that tangible experience alive.

               It is sometimes difficult working behind the scenes. Much of the work that the Friends does goes unnoticed by visitors in the park. But this is not to say that the work the Friends do is not important. The Friends help to enhance the experience that is Independence National Historical Park and I know that my work behind the shaded window is helping to preserve the experience of the visitor walking by.

               As I get ready to say goodbye to the office for the summer, and head back to Wisconsin and my school work, I am excited by all the wonderful things the Friends is currently working on. Many of these projects will help the Friends to step out from behind the shaded curtain, and be more visible in the park. Allowing us to connect with visitors, and share with them the honor of keeping the Independence NHP experience a great one. The Friends have an exciting year ahead, and I cannot wait to see the great work they accomplish when it is finished. I take pride in knowing I played my part in this great organization, even if it was only for a few short months.

~Dane Allison, Summer Intern for the Friends of Independence

**Dane's last day will be this Thursday, September 1st. He was a  tremendous asset to the Friends this summer and he will be missed. Join us as we wish him well in his future endeavors.**

No comments:

Post a Comment