Between Friends

Between Friends

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

View from the Back Office: Part 1: "Why are you back?"


        Walking through the front doors of the Merchant Exchange Building, not much has changed since last summer. Walt, long time employee of the National Park Service, is still at the front desk greeting people.  The Friends office is still the first office on the left, right across from the restrooms. My office is almost exactly how I left it in September. My desk is still in the corner next to the window, the fax machine to my right, postage meter to my left, and my trusty computer in the middle. Settling into my chair I knew I was in for another great summer with the Friends of Independence.

I came back for another summer with the Friends for many reasons. My biggest reason for returning is my love for the Independence National Historical Park. I can honestly say  I have the best commute of anyone I know. I would not trade my daily walks from Market East Station to the Merchant Exchange Building for anything. Getting to walk through the park and say hello to my favorite landmarks is always a highlight in my day. I also enjoy my daily lunch break picnics behind The First Bank of the United States, except for the rare occasion when I am accosted by a hungry squirrel. I take pride in knowing that the work I do for the Friends helps to make not only my morning walks and afternoon  picnics possible, but allows all visitors to enjoy the park.   

Working for the Friends is also a wonderful learning experience. I have gained valuable experience in event planning, fundraising, and member relations. Working for the Friends has also given me a glimpse of how the non-profit sector operates.  I  enjoy the contact I have with Park employees and appreciate learning about the work they do for the park. It is always interesting, meeting with park historians, curators, architects and rangers to discuss what is going on in the park and what projects the park needs the Friends to be involved with. Of course being in the most historic square mile in the country, I have also picked up quite of bit of history as well.
           
I think the most exciting part of working for the Friends is that no two days are ever the same.  When I walk into the office, I never know what awaits me.  Sometimes I am researching, other times I am pulling together projected expenses or creating packages for sponsors and in the case of today, I was asked to write a blog on why I wanted to come back to the Friends!  No matter what task I am charged with, I know that at the end of the day, my work makes a difference.
           
On top of all this I get to dress up in colonial garb, build Liberty Bells out of flowers, and work with many wonderful people. Who would not want to come back to a job like that?

~Written by Dane Allison, Summer Intern for the Friends of Independence National Historical Park

1 comment:

  1. Dane,your heartfelt words truly allow us to see the wonders that you are seeing and that we have in our backyard every day as neighbors and business owners. We are so lucky to have you as our intern.

    Sincerely,
    Karen Kaufman
    Friends Board Member and Neighbor

    ReplyDelete